Medical College of Wisconsin Master of Science in Genetic Counseling Program
Have questions about the program from your Career Fair visit? Check the information below for answers. If you can't find an answer to your question, click below to submit your question(s) to the program.
The Genetic Counseling Master of Science Program at the Medical College of Wisconsin will prepare the next generation of genetic counselors to be diverse leaders at the forefront in the delivery of precision health. The mission of the Medical College of Wisconsin Genetic Counseling Graduate Program is to cultivate exceptional genetic counseling leaders who reflect the visible and invisible diversity of the communities we serve.
The MSGC program aims to achieve this mission through the following objectives:
- Create compassionate, academically minded genetic counselors with a curiosity for life-long learning.
- Demonstrate responsibility to the communities we serve by prioritizing health equity, advocacy, and cultural humility.
- Foster authenticity, integrity, and resilience through a culture of belonging.
- Nurture skills to inspire our students to become future leaders in the profession.
Program is located in Milwaukee, WI
Academic year is from August to May.
Information about prerequisites info can be found at https://www.mcw.edu/education/graduate-school/graduate-school-programs/genetic-counseling-ms-program
General geographic location of internships: State of Wisconsin
Currently have Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice initiatives as part of the program
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice initiatives: The MCW MSGC Program has several of DEIJ initiatives and activities that are currently underway.
- The MCW MSGC program strives to provide education at the community K-12 level on the role of genetics in healthcare (including issues of diversity and disparities) & increase awareness of genetics careers across various demographics by:
- Partnering with existing MCW STEP-UP programing (The Student Enrichment Program for Underrepresented Professions (StEP-UP) at MCW is designed to bring opportunities to middle, high school, and college students in the Milwaukee area who are interested in careers in medicine and the sciences.)
- Developing template presentations for use by genetic counselors for various audiences
- Creating a tool for educators to request lecturers and find out more information
- Creating MCW programming for National DNA Day with a focus on providing programing to underrepresented students
- The MCW MSGC program has developed a recruitment plan for increasing MSGC applicants from diverse backgrounds, incorporating demographic data collection and reporting, to be informed and reviewed by Office of Diversity & Inclusion, partnered with local colleges/universities, especially those with demonstrated success in recruiting under-represented minority students, to increase awareness of the genetic counseling profession, pre-GC educational tracks, and the GC internship and initiated exploring into financial resources and administrative options to support GC internship opportunities to reduce barriers for students from disadvantaged backgrounds