Sarah Lawrence College
Although we are the oldest program, the one tradition we have is that we are constantly changing. We have a mission to constantly update not only what we teach but how we teach it to make sure our students get the most out of their learning experience. Also, because our program pioneered the profession, that pioneering spirit continues as we encourage “out of the box” thinking and different ways to apply the skillset of genetic counseling outside of the traditional areas, while also providing a great place to learn to become a genetic counselor in the traditional settings.
Program is located in Bronxville, NY
Program website: https://www.sarahlawrence.edu/genetic-counseling/
Academic year is from September to May.
Information about prerequisites info can be found at https://www.sarahlawrence.edu/genetic-counseling/application/
- No GRE required,
- Holistic admissions process,
- Accepts international students,
- Largest and oldest program with pioneering spirit. We have 4+ scholarships specifically offered to people from underrepresented backgrounds.
- In-state students: $34,070 each year
- Out-of-state students: $34,070 each year
- International students: $34,070 each year
- Student work opportunities
- Scholarships available
- Work study available
- 4+ scholarships specifically offered to people from underrepresented backgrounds
General geographic location of internships: New York City, NY, NJ, Conn metro area
Currently have Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice initiatives as part of the program
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice initiatives: Scholarships for Underrepresented applicants; participation in an Inter-Program Antiracism Discussion Series (IPADS) year long program that the students participate in; 2-day LGBTQ+ in genetics seminar; 2 leadership positions (program directors) are BIPOC; and we intentionally build diverse representation among our admissions committee members and incorporate consideration of unconscious bias and systemic racism into review of applications from those in underrepresented groups.