University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Vision and Mission Statement
Vision: The UAMS Genetic Counseling Graduate Program develops future genetic counselors who are innovative, adaptive, and compassionate experts committed to making a difference in the lives of others both nationally and internationally and their faculty are experts in teaching, scholarship, and service to the profession.
Mission: The mission of the Genetic Counseling Graduate Program is to produce competent genetic counselors by providing rigorous, forward-thinking training through education, research and diverse clinical experiences.
We accomplish this by:
- offering students a rigorous, innovative, and contemporary education/training;
- contributing to patient-centered genetic counseling both in person and via telegenetics;
- contributing new knowledge to the profession through research and scholarship; and
- advocating for and serving our communities, patients and profession.
Core Values: Integrity, Respect, Diversity, Inclusion, Teamwork, Creativity, Excellence, Advocacy, Empathy, Community.
Program is located in Little Rock and Fayetteville, AR
Program website: https://healthprofessions.uams.edu/programs/geneticcounseling/
Academic year is from August to May.
Program is a distance learning program – Two students will spend their first year on the Little Rock campus and their second year in the program in Louisville, KY. These students will join classes live using Zoom.
Information about prerequisites info can be found at https://healthprofessions.uams.edu/programs/geneticcounseling/prerequisites/
- Holistic admissions process,
- Accepts international students.
- In-state students: $22,388.00
- Out-of-state students: $48,430.00
- Student work opportunities-vary each semester and year.
- Work study available-vary each semester and year.
- Scholarships available. Scholarship information can be found at https://healthprofessions.uams.edu/financialassistance/scholarships-and-waivers/
General geographic location of internships: Arkansas and Memphis, TN, and Louisville, KY
Currently have Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice initiatives as part of the program
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice initiatives: https://ddei.uams.edu/