University of California San Francisco (UCSF)
Genetic Counseling Program
Location: San Francisco, CA
Program Length: 21 months
Vision: To produce graduates that excel in their field while advancing the practice of genetic counseling.
Mission: To create a nurturing and collaborative educational environment that fosters successful, independent learners through:
- A rigorous, comprehensive curriculum reflective of contemporary genetics and genomics practice,
- Clinical experiences dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in patient care,
- Innovative research opportunities that support the development of clinical scholars, and
- A commitment to the responsible and ethical application of genomic medicine in order to better the health of all members of our community.
- GRE – ❌
- International students – ✅
- GPA requirement = min 3.0*
- In-state priority – ❌
- Interviews – Virtual
* below 3.0 GPAs may be considered.
- In-state: $83,592
- Out-of-state: $83,592
- International: $83,592
- Tuition reduction options – ✅
- On-campus work opportunities – ✅
- Match and/or Application Waivers – ✅
- San Francisco Bay Area
- Flexible summer rotation opportunities – ✅
The UCSF Genetic Counseling Program is a new training program that was established using a DEIJ lens. DEIJ is part of our foundation; we have not had to rethink our philosophy to include DEIJ initiatives. DEIJ impacts all aspects of our program, from governance, to admissions, to the curriculum, to aligning with the UCSF’s institutional priorities for the provision of culturally competent education, discovery, and patient care.
Our leadership team has completed Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Champion Training, our DEIJ Committee ensures cultural awareness and competence throughout the Program, our Admissions Committee employs a holistic approach to application review and our curriculum is in alignment with UCSF’s commitment to anti-oppressive education. The UCSF Genetic Counseling Program strives to foster an environment where all students can thrive.