University of Pittsburgh
Master of Science in Genetic Counseling Program
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Program Length: 21 months
Mission: We deliver boundary-spanning education for future genetic counseling professionals in genomics, public health, business and policy and through immersion in diverse health care and research settings.
Vision: Our graduates will be leaders at the center of health care in a future where every health decision will be influenced by genomic information.
The MS in Genetic Counseling (MSGC) graduate program at the University of Pittsburgh is committed to providing cutting edge training in the complex science of genetics while fostering a strong foundation in counseling. This unique program is constantly evolving to ensure the continued success of graduates entering a dynamic workforce. Each year between 10 and 12 students are welcomed into the incoming class to be trained by world-renowned faculty. The genetic counseling program is grounded in three important elements: scientific training in human genetics and genomics, comprehensive clinical experience, and understanding the psychological and social aspects of counseling—with an added focus on integrating up to the minute discoveries in genetics and genomics as well as valuable concepts from other academic disciplines.
- GRE – ❌
- International students – ✅
- GPA requirement = 3.0*
- In-state priority – ❌
- Interviews – Virtual
*below 3.0 GPAs may be considered.
- In-state: $47,161
- International: $80,127
- Tuition reduction options – ✅
- On-campus work opportunities – ✅
- Match and/or Application Waivers – ✅
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Flexible summer rotation opportunities – ✅
DEIJ Committee; DEIJ questions woven into application process; DEIJ specific training for students, faculty and site supervisors.
- Speak with Integrity and Compassion: We are committed to honesty, transparency and respect in every interaction.
- Commit Everyday: We take personal responsibility to achieve excellence in everything we do.
- Reach Out: We embrace collaboration and partnership to enhance professional possibilities.
- Embrace the Unknown: We believe that curiosity leads to lifelong learning.
- Be Bold: We are inspired by innovation and chan
For more information, please contact HUGENGC@pitt.edu.